Skip to main content

Chapter 253: Maybank Scholarship 2014

Hello earthlings, it's been a while since I posted anything interesting or attention-drawing. I should have seen this coming - being busy once I start college and start dealing with other situations other than college. Alright, firstly I think that college life for me so far is acceptable, what with having a rather loose schedule compared to other people; partly because our course is a prolonged course (1 year and 3 months) compared to the normal 1-year-course. I know, I know. Some of you might think that I'm wasting precious time because I didn't join the Jan intake instead. Well, let's just say I'm happy with my choice, and I hope you respect my decision too.

Back to the main topic we're talking about. Maybank Scholarship 2014. With all the applicants and candidates being so much more talented and smart than I will ever be, and much to my surprise, my application actually got through to Maybank.

The first call I received from Maybank was when I was still slacking on my bed in Home Sweet Melaka. I barely woke up before 10am but that day I woke up at about 9am and checked my phone. I went back to sleep as I thought that it was far too early for me to get out of bed. (don't judge me) A few minutes later just before I doze off to dreamland, I heard my phone vibrating. I was blur when I answered the call but immediately freshen up when I knew that my application got accepted.

I was required to do two online assessments before the given deadline. I was nervous and happy at the same time because I didn't know what to expect. I can't say that the assessments were easy, because they weren't aiming for your intelligence, instead for your accuracy and speed. I was required to analyze the tabs containing information provided and answer the long questions in a short period of time. Needless to say, I couldn't finish answering every question in time. I closed the website thinking to myself, "Oh I bet there are so many people out there who could finish the test and pass it excellently. I won't be able to make it."

I had almost forgotten about my assessment after I entered college and my hopes weren't exactly high. Though after 3 weeks, I received another call from the same number while I was in my aunt's house. I was obviously shocked to hear that I passed the test! However I was equally worried because of the transport to Maybank Tower and if the interview would clash with my class schedule. I opened up my email and let out a huge sigh of relief when I saw that the interview would be held on Tuesday! MY ONE AND ONLY FREE DAY. Then I had another problem - transportation. How would I go there? And another problem arisen when I saw the note "Business Formal Attire". Luckily, my uncle had contacts for taxi drivers and my aunt also brought me to buy my clothes. I am honestly thankful for all they've done for me. :)

On that day itself, I was nervous as ever. I had Shu Yie helping me with the interview practice. I must say that he's super experienced and yeah, glad to have him as a friend and mentor. I owe it all to him. Thanks for the constant nagging and motivation yo. Shu Yie and KJJ followed me to Maybank Tower because it was dangerous for me to go alone. Once again, thanks guys. Y'all are the best.

I arrived at the centre and noticed that a few candidates had already arrived. I was shocked because I thought the time they gave was standard for everyone. I was wrong. I met two girls from Melaka, one from Yok Bin and the other from MGS. Good to see fellow Malaccans competing! When my turn came, I confidently (trust me, I was not. Lol.) went in and greeted the interviewer. She was very nice and friendly and smiley. My worries were blown away when she said that she would like to know more about myself. The interview began and I was surprised to acknowledge the fact that some questions had been asked by Shu Yie during our practice! She also asked if I knew how to converse in Chinese. I happily said yes and that I had scored an A for SPM. She seemed impressed. (Note to all the Chinese-taking peeps! This is a good opportunity for you to shine okay! So NEVER regret taking Chinese.)There was one question that had me stunned for a moment though, but other than that I must say that the interview went smoothly. (Okay if you Maybank candidates of 2015 are reading this, please don't expect me to type out every question here. It's best if you'd experience it on your own. :P)

The interview finished quite fast as compared to other candidates before me. So I started to worry that I didn't do well. I thought I'd screwed up big time because of that particular question. I went back to College in a neutral mode and didn't know how I felt. I was cheery on one side because I'd finally gone through my first interview! On the other hand, I was disappointed with myself because I know I could have done better.

During the evening, when I left my room, I received another call from the same number! She asked me if I had reached home, how thoughtful hahaha. She continued by saying that I had successfully passed the interview!!! I rejoiced but contained my feelings. My heart sank a little when she said that the case study would be held on Thursday. Just 2 days after my interview. How was I going to make it?! It was impossible, I thought to myself. I didn't prepare much because I didn't expect to be in the final stage when I first applied for this scholarship.

I was worried sick and went on to complain to Shu Yie. He then said that this was all a challenge from Maybank. They expect you to be prepared in a short time to test your skills. The final stage would be solo presentation on a case study and group discussion. And I'm sorry, we are not supposed to say anything out. It's for you future candidates to work and prepare on your own. Besides, I'm far too lazy to type it out LOL.

Through this assessment, I found out more about my own weaknesses. I need to improve more on my critical thinking skills and presentation skills. These skills are essential in working life in the future. I was oblivious to this before the assessment and chose to ignore my weaknesses. Well now, I feel the need to improve myself more so that I can do better for my future.

The results will be out at late June. Whatever it is, I know that I've tried my best. Getting into the last stage is already a big blessing for me. Thank you once again, Maybank, for this amazing opportunity to learn more and meet new people.

The below picture consists of the awesome people I met during the last stage. Thanks for everything guys!

Note: Picture credits to Justin from GBS, Melaka! :)

From left to right: Justin, Syahirah, Me, Anzar and Tze Ling (who is also pursuing her studies in Sunway :3)




To future applicants/candidates of this scholarship, I wish you all the best.


"Always remember that you're in it for a reason. " 




x
Celine

Comments

  1. Hi! This is quite a sudden post, but may I know how did your online assessment go (if you still remember, that is)? Did you get the scholarship? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I'm so sorry for the late reply. I just happened to read it. I don't know my results actually but apparently I passed! So if you pass, they'll call you up for the interview session. And sadly, no, I didn't get it hahaha.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 290: Being a CAT-ACCA student

Hello. I just wanna get this off my chest for a bit. DISCLAIMER: This is merely my own understanding of the whole programme. Please don't flame me for wrong information lol. WHAT ARE CAT AND ACCA?  CAT stands for Certified Accounting Technician. Yeah, people laugh at the term "technician" but in layman terms it is just another name for Foundation in Accountancy. No idea why they used CAT though; probably because they don't want people to mess it up with Foundation in Arts? Anyways, one thing I dislike is when people ask me what I'm currently doing. When I say CAT, EVERYONE doesn't get it. So I just say "Oh I'm doing accounting." which sounds pretty weak but then it's easier than explaining the whole shit a gazillion times to different people and yet they STILL don't get it. :( ACCA stands for Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. Alright, so here's the thing. ACCA is a professional body (sort of like a club, really.

Chapter 319: Reflections

It's 12:44am and I have a lot on my mind. I feel like I haven't been able to give my 100% since the beginning of the year. I'm not entirely sure why but I guess it was because it was fast approaching one of my goals in the firm which was to get promoted to Senior Associate and subsequently tendering afterwards. The plan in my head was solid - I start applying in June, just slightly 2 weeks before the official promotion announcement, I get a call from HR after a week or so, an official interview by the managers after 2 days, and in July I was good to go. Plans always deviate, don't they? In June I find myself still in the midst of peak; whoever said that June was the start of off peak is a liar. However I also found myself avoiding to update my resume; I think a part of me still wanted to stay. I believe it was the comfort zone calling - I have good bosses, my portfolio was okay (I am taking over a job meant for an Assistant Manager), I am familiar with everything that

Chapter 320: I've not been well recently

 Not sure how to begin this post. My heart is beating really fast right now and I need to vent my feelings somewhere. I haven't been in a good mental state for a while now. I am suffering. I have been trying my best to see the good in everything and it has been exhausting. I guess I'd been dismissing my negative feelings because I feel like I should be grateful and appreciative for everything I have right now - which I am, don't get me wrong.  I'm having a difficult time relaxing properly recently. Even when I'm just chilling and watching Netflix, a sense of uneasiness just comes creeping on me; and it stays with me. I can't find anything that makes me happy anymore. I just feel so restless and on most days I feel like I've lost my sense of identity.  All the things that once make me happy have lost their ability to do so. I feel like a lifeless robot each day, just surviving and not living. Achievements aren't able to make me feel anything too. In fact