Skip to main content

Chapter 291: Why It's Okay To Have Other Options

People often think that our SPM results and the subjects you take in high school reflect the careers that we're striving for in the future. When in fact, I think it's perfectly okay to pursue other courses other than what should be the "norm" for yourself.

1. Getting Straight As doesn't mean I should pursue Medicine
Um yeah. Last year I was asked by a friend what I am currently doing, I answered accounting and she was partially shocked. She asked me why didn't I take Medic instead since my results are so good. Firstly, I don't think that my results were "so good", because there are a lot of people with straight As and I was just one of the few lucky ones. Secondly, my science subjects were just so-so. A+ for Chemistry, A for Physics and A- for Biology. I understand that what we learn in high school is merely the tip of the iceberg. There is SO MUCH MORE TO LEARN and if I can't cope with the ones in high school, I don't think I'd be able to follow up in University. I don't have much interest in science subjects too. I'm not sure why, but maybe it isn't for me. I'm glad I was in the science stream though. The learning part was interesting, but not the examinations. Hahahaha. I'm not saying that you shouldn't pursue science if your results are similar to mine, hey, if you're interested and would work hard for it, go ahead man, the world is yours. I'm just not really interested.

2. It's not compulsory for a science stream student to continue pursuing science in the future
An ex-classmate of mine dropped Accounts at the end of Form 4. No, it wasn't because she couldn't cope it; in fact she had gotten full marks for one of the exams. We asked her why? She said she wasn't going to take up accounting anyway so why bother? And it would be a waste to not pursue something in the science field when you've been taking science all these years. I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. I think learning is a long process and it's not wrong to learn something even though we're not gonna pursue it further next time. So are you saying that I am wasting all those years of learning science subjects by taking up accounting? True, I may not LOVE science, but I DID learn a whole lot of stuff, and I appreciate it a lot.

My mom had advised me to take up science stream because it would give me a lot more options in the future. And it doesn't hurt to learn more stuff. No, I definitely do not think I wasted my time studying science.

3. It's okay to follow what you really want to do
You wanna be a graphic designer? Go for it. You wanna go into the business field? Sure. You wanna do logistics? Why not? People these days should understand that everybody has different interests. Just do whatever the fuck you want and don't give a shit to what others think. It's your life anyway. Don't allow your life to be controlled by nosy people who just loves commenting on people's lives rather than their own. But of course don't quarrel with your parents over this. I know some parents are not really supportive but just talk it out nicely and figure out a proper solution. Easier said than done sigh. I know of friends who have talent in the art industry but has to pursue what their parents want them to do. Parents only want the best for us so I don't blame them. But if your choice is criticized by someone other than your parents, just walk away. They don't matter. Not even your relatives that you see once a year during Chinese New Year.

Alright. That's all. These are the main ones I could think of. On a side note, I'm starting ACCA tomorrow! Orientation is at 9am and at 12pm we start class already. LOL. The textbooks are so thick but I doubt we'd actually use them so often. We're probably gonna be given notes and the textbooks will be clean, new and untouched at the end of the semester. Oh, and I think my scholarship includes resource fees and MPU tuition fees too? LOL. Because the "debt" for programme fees in iZone automatically became zero and it includes resource fees and MPU subs too. They didn't touch my previous entrance scholarship as well. Wa what a surprise! Thanks ah XD

Feeling so hungry now. I just realized I'd forgotten to bring some milo up. Worst of all, I even forgot my bedsheet! I had to go to Pyramid to buy new ones. Don't worry it was on 70% discount hahahahha.

Okay. Off I go!


x
Celine

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 290: Being a CAT-ACCA student

Hello. I just wanna get this off my chest for a bit. DISCLAIMER: This is merely my own understanding of the whole programme. Please don't flame me for wrong information lol. WHAT ARE CAT AND ACCA?  CAT stands for Certified Accounting Technician. Yeah, people laugh at the term "technician" but in layman terms it is just another name for Foundation in Accountancy. No idea why they used CAT though; probably because they don't want people to mess it up with Foundation in Arts? Anyways, one thing I dislike is when people ask me what I'm currently doing. When I say CAT, EVERYONE doesn't get it. So I just say "Oh I'm doing accounting." which sounds pretty weak but then it's easier than explaining the whole shit a gazillion times to different people and yet they STILL don't get it. :( ACCA stands for Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. Alright, so here's the thing. ACCA is a professional body (sort of like a club, really.

Chapter 319: Reflections

It's 12:44am and I have a lot on my mind. I feel like I haven't been able to give my 100% since the beginning of the year. I'm not entirely sure why but I guess it was because it was fast approaching one of my goals in the firm which was to get promoted to Senior Associate and subsequently tendering afterwards. The plan in my head was solid - I start applying in June, just slightly 2 weeks before the official promotion announcement, I get a call from HR after a week or so, an official interview by the managers after 2 days, and in July I was good to go. Plans always deviate, don't they? In June I find myself still in the midst of peak; whoever said that June was the start of off peak is a liar. However I also found myself avoiding to update my resume; I think a part of me still wanted to stay. I believe it was the comfort zone calling - I have good bosses, my portfolio was okay (I am taking over a job meant for an Assistant Manager), I am familiar with everything that

Chapter 320: I've not been well recently

 Not sure how to begin this post. My heart is beating really fast right now and I need to vent my feelings somewhere. I haven't been in a good mental state for a while now. I am suffering. I have been trying my best to see the good in everything and it has been exhausting. I guess I'd been dismissing my negative feelings because I feel like I should be grateful and appreciative for everything I have right now - which I am, don't get me wrong.  I'm having a difficult time relaxing properly recently. Even when I'm just chilling and watching Netflix, a sense of uneasiness just comes creeping on me; and it stays with me. I can't find anything that makes me happy anymore. I just feel so restless and on most days I feel like I've lost my sense of identity.  All the things that once make me happy have lost their ability to do so. I feel like a lifeless robot each day, just surviving and not living. Achievements aren't able to make me feel anything too. In fact