Skip to main content

Chapter 312: KPMG Interview

Hey hey. Just to jot down something before I head to Penang tomorrow for a short trip.

So, KPMG interview.

I admit, I'm rather a kiasu person. Even before finals - okay, a month before finals, I already submitted my application forms for a job in the Big 4. No, I didn't apply for all of them, only 3. One company was fast in rejecting me, as I'd mentioned. The other didn't even bother replying my follow-up emails. KPMG didn't respond until I sent them a follow-up email right after I finished my finals.

I was glad to have received a link to complete an online assessment a few days after. It consists of 3 parts - however, only 2 parts are actual tests - Verbal and Numerical, the other is just a test of your Work Behaviour. The Verbal and Numerical tests are exactly the same as the ones I did for Maybank Scholarship, so it was okay for me. I received another email a few days after to notify me that I'd passed the tests.

And then, the HR in charge, Ms Dharshini, called me to notify me regarding the interview session, which is going to be held exactly 2 days after, on Thursday. It was a group interview.

Fast forward to the day itself, when I reached, I saw a lot of familiar faces. No hints needed, of course 80% of the candidates are from Sunway lmao. I immediately went to talk to people to at least ease my nerves for a bit. They asked me to sign my name at the desk. I couldn't find my name at first so I panicked a little LOL. Turns out my name was on the second page hahahahah. Remember to check behind, kids.

We gathered at the Board Meeting room where Dharshini gave us a brief introduction about KPMG to us. The interview consists of 3 parts: Group case study, individual interview and finally an essay. It all sounds like a lot but it actually went by pretty quickly. I was most afraid of the case study because I remembered the Maybank one which didn't go well for me at all.

When we went in, the interviewers were already there (God forbid I thought they were seniors HAHAHAHA actually they are managers LOL). They gave us 2 pages of information, which is SO MUCH SHORTER than the one given in Maybank, much to my relief. We had to analyze the scenario and provide solutions and our point of views regarding the issue stated. It is exactly like P3, so the knowledge in P3 was put to good use of course. We were given 15 minutes to discuss among ourselves, then 10 minutes to present our ideas. It was okay I guess. The interviewers are really friendly.

Phew, luckily the worst part of the session was over. Next up was the individual interview. I was lucky to be called first hahahah so that I don't have to wait so long.

I had a few experiences in interviews so they really helped me a lot in overcoming my fears. Also, I had the help of Xin Ying (who is now working there) who gave me lots of tips. Hehe. The questions I got were relatively predictable. They will definitely ask "Tell me more about yourself." To be honest I think I didn't really prepare much for this so I just blabbered my way through HAHAHAHAHA. Then they asked mostly about my resume. We talked quite a lot regarding King Scout, and much to my surprise the Director said he almost got the award but didn't, with so much regret on his face LOL. I'm happy that it was more of a chatting session instead of an interview session, which helped a lot I guess. They also asked me about tennis, and mentioned that I could join the Inter-Accounting Firm Games LOL. See, playing sports gives u an extra advantage okay? I was lucky that they didn't ask me technical questions. I wouldn't be able to answer them I guess.

All in all, the interview session went well and I was happy with how I did. I think it was roughly around 30 minutes. I saw many people in the Board Room doing their essays already. I sat down and the HR people gave me the essay question straight away. The questions were focused mainly on career and work. I am a better writer than a talker so I wasn't particularly too worried in that area.

After finishing the essay, they said I could go home already. It was before 12pm! The whole session was very swift. It's good to talk to the other candidates there. Communication is key. You get to receive lots of important information too.

I guess that should be all. I hope my explanation helped. And good luck!


x
Celine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 290: Being a CAT-ACCA student

Hello. I just wanna get this off my chest for a bit. DISCLAIMER: This is merely my own understanding of the whole programme. Please don't flame me for wrong information lol. WHAT ARE CAT AND ACCA?  CAT stands for Certified Accounting Technician. Yeah, people laugh at the term "technician" but in layman terms it is just another name for Foundation in Accountancy. No idea why they used CAT though; probably because they don't want people to mess it up with Foundation in Arts? Anyways, one thing I dislike is when people ask me what I'm currently doing. When I say CAT, EVERYONE doesn't get it. So I just say "Oh I'm doing accounting." which sounds pretty weak but then it's easier than explaining the whole shit a gazillion times to different people and yet they STILL don't get it. :( ACCA stands for Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. Alright, so here's the thing. ACCA is a professional body (sort of like a club, really.

Chapter 319: Reflections

It's 12:44am and I have a lot on my mind. I feel like I haven't been able to give my 100% since the beginning of the year. I'm not entirely sure why but I guess it was because it was fast approaching one of my goals in the firm which was to get promoted to Senior Associate and subsequently tendering afterwards. The plan in my head was solid - I start applying in June, just slightly 2 weeks before the official promotion announcement, I get a call from HR after a week or so, an official interview by the managers after 2 days, and in July I was good to go. Plans always deviate, don't they? In June I find myself still in the midst of peak; whoever said that June was the start of off peak is a liar. However I also found myself avoiding to update my resume; I think a part of me still wanted to stay. I believe it was the comfort zone calling - I have good bosses, my portfolio was okay (I am taking over a job meant for an Assistant Manager), I am familiar with everything that

Chapter 320: I've not been well recently

 Not sure how to begin this post. My heart is beating really fast right now and I need to vent my feelings somewhere. I haven't been in a good mental state for a while now. I am suffering. I have been trying my best to see the good in everything and it has been exhausting. I guess I'd been dismissing my negative feelings because I feel like I should be grateful and appreciative for everything I have right now - which I am, don't get me wrong.  I'm having a difficult time relaxing properly recently. Even when I'm just chilling and watching Netflix, a sense of uneasiness just comes creeping on me; and it stays with me. I can't find anything that makes me happy anymore. I just feel so restless and on most days I feel like I've lost my sense of identity.  All the things that once make me happy have lost their ability to do so. I feel like a lifeless robot each day, just surviving and not living. Achievements aren't able to make me feel anything too. In fact